Art And Responsibility

In the beginning, I always tried to steer clear of big labels, big parties, large audiences. At first this was because I was a follower of the theorist Hakim Bey; and he urgently warned against these things. When I advanced beyond the ideas of Hakim Bey, I finally started to play gigs regularly, even at places like Tresor in Berlin, something I would have never done in my first years. Yet at the core I still was sceptical of any "larger" approach so I kept it at that.

I got into other ideas and other theorists later in my life.
I tried to keep my profile still low. It was no longer a question of tactics, but of responsibility. Art changes the world and people's life. Should an artist really have and / or use that power?
Throbbing Gristle for example warned against any approach to art that goes beyond the "output is shared between individuals" level, because, as they said, if art enters the social or even political level, things get dangerous very quickly (I don't remember the exact quote but you get the point).
I posted my music on a lot of forums but tried to make my releases unappealing, for example by using cryptic titles like "Doomcore 2", "Futuristic 3" or lack of cover pictures and lack of decriptions, so that only "individuals" who saw beyond this would listen to my music.

This all changed when I became an idealist. Ideals cannot be tainted or corrupted and are always positive. So I thought, if someone makes art based on ideals, only positive change can come from such an art.
Now it became imperative to spread such art as far as possible, and I reached numbers such as 100,000 plays with some of my tracks.
Still something told me to steer away from most of the bigger labels and organisations.

Recently, it came to my knowledge that such a way of thought might be a bit naive.
Yes, Ideals are perfect. But if you create art or a track, this is no longer idealism, it might become corrupted. If you put it into the world, it might become corrupted.
And then art can have a very negative effect on people and the world.
I don't know if my first idealistic theory was right, or the latter theory.

Since I got these doubts, I essentially stopped producing original tracks, with very few exceptions.
What would be the solution? I think only time will tell. One way might be something that I had detested the most in the past: to leave the political level, to make unpolitical art. The other, to leave the social level in art, to make music for select individuals again who can handle the content.

But there most be a better way!

No comments:

Post a Comment