On My Music - Part 2

I've sometimes been asked why I don't make (much) music in the style of my early period of music (1996-2004) anymore, like my LP on Widerstand or my digital release on Praxis for example. The reason for this is the following. My first period was fueled by vile opposition to the western world of music - from pop music to "classical" western music. I hated its ruled and codes and commands and limitations and tried to get as far away from it as possible. That's why I made Breakcore with weird sounds and otherwordly rhythms (or was it the other way round?). But in the end I realized I was fighting a losing battle. I used odd time signatures, but my tracks still had beats and drums and percussion. I used atonal scales but my tracks still had notes and "melody". So I still was close to western music, and still followed the ruled and commands and codes even if I didn't want to. The only way out for me was to banish music as a whole. My Breakcore and Industrial sounds were - still music, and for me, music has to be rejected - total. But what to do now? In a train of thought that I wrote down elsewhere, I made the choice to express ideas that can not expressed in music by using music. Techno, Doomcore and Speedcore were just the right template for this. The focus is not on the drum or the percussion, not even the melody, but the idea that is expressed by them. And the same idea could be expressed by Doomcore, or Folk Guitars, or Rapping, or Baroque Music - so the music itself, the genre, the sounds, faded into the background and only the idea keeps going on. It's like a cook who one day becomes a poet but doesn't publish them in a book, instead puts them (edible?) into the cakes at his restaurant. The music and all it's rules and mistakes and fallacies is negated to become only a tool for the communication of ideas. Now, I must admit, my hatred for music is not total. I do adore Doomcore and Techno and so on. But the important part is the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment