Mental Health And Music

This year I talked about my mental health problems, which might not be directly related to my music. But I think it's important issues like these come to the public and it does not remain taboo to talk about them.
And, on the other hand, they are indeed very much connected to my music. I'm influenced by the anti-psychiatry movements that gained momentum in the 60s decade of the last century; especially the idea that "mental health" is not a black and white thing; that there is no clear line between sane and insane; between society and an individual's problems; that mental illness is not 100% bad or 100% good, but something inbetween.
To be more exact, what happened is this; my problems with anxiety that started as a kid sent me into what is called "altered states" once in a while; some enter these states by drugs; I entered them by fear and trauma. And from these states, I took all the ideas for my music. My mental health problems sent me to that place, like others would have used drugs to get there, again. I'm sure some people think is a fucked up way, using this to get inspired for art. But to me it made sense. It was the best I could do; and at the same time, my music helped me to get a grip on my mental health problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment