Embracing Your Own Sickness: Inbetween Anxiety And Ecstasy

As a kid, and later as a teen, I was suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks.
I also knew about "ritual ecstasy": indigenous people would through methods such as relentless dancing reach an ecstatic high.
Then something eventually dawned on me, and I made the connection.
During my anxiety attacks, I would experience symptoms such as my heartbeat rushing, rising temperature, sweating, and, above all, the feeling I would somehow lose my mind and get detached from reality.
Was that not a state that from the description seemed very close to the experience of ritual ecstasy?
So I decided to no longer fight my anxiety, but let it rise to a maximum level and let it take complete control, of me, let it wash over me.
And, did I experience "ecstasy" this way?
Yes I did. I reached states of complete euphoria, bliss and happiness. Some of my happiest moments in life were during these highjacked "anxiety attacks".
It made me a completely satisfied person.
People I encountered later in life often told me I was "naturally high" or appeared bubbly and optimistic most of the time.
Little did they know that in social situations, or for example when playing at parties, I often experienced anxiety, but that I changed it to an ecstatic state with this method, and that this was the reason I came off as being so "joyous".

In these times, I often got to know people who were suffering from mental problems, including anxiety, too. I always told them the same thing; that they should embrace their "states" instead of fighting them. But they usually reacted very negative, and in fact it often seemed to make them very anrgy.
Now, when looking back, I too must admit that it maybe was not "without danger" to do the thing I did. But it helped me much better than any therapy and - was "the best I could do", given the circumstances.
So, when reflecting on this, I think this different method of facing mental illness, is at least something that is interesting and should be, in one way or the other, further explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment