On Beatmatching

I sometimes beatmatch my mixes, but most of the times I do not. There are multiple reasons for this. For one, I love multi-genre mixes. Mix some Black Metal, Gabber, Dark Ambient, Techno, whatever floats you boat, and be happy. Nonsense to attempt at beatmatching in that situation. I must admit my own mixes rarely were "that" multi-genre. But for example I like to mix Speedcore with Techno, Breakcore, maybe a bit of Acid, and slower break ("Industrial") tracks. The variation of speed again makes it rather pointless to go for beatmatching in that case.
Second, Techno is defined by perfect sync and rhythm. And I always considered this to be a blessing and a curse at the same time. On the one hand, it mimics endless droning and pounding to a shamanic dance ritual until you go into trance. But it also mimics the marching beat of Fascism and the machine-perfect sound of a Capitalist factory. What is the solution to this dilemma? My answer would be: have it both ways. Use sync-perfect rhythm elements, but also off-sync chaos in your tracks. When producing my own tracks I like to include elements that in some way subvert the straight 4/4 rhythm of the tracks.
When mixing, I welcome moments that break out of the Techno rigidness, when Bassdrums of two speeds clash with each other or there is a sudden speed change, or a disorderly crossfade.
To be honest, the idea of a beatmatched rhythm is totally averse to me, I listened to some mixes I done in the past, and I thought back then that I did beatmatch them well, only to hear they were very far from exact with the ears I have today. Of course I could use some auto-sync program or function to solve this for future mixes maybe, but I don't like that idea at all.
To be honest I always liked the idea of doing mixes in which two or more tracks run at different speeds next to each other for several minutes, creating a complex polyrhythm. Still on my to do list.
So, yeah, the idea of doing beatmatched mixes is something I'm not so keen on, and I prefer to use a different method.

No comments:

Post a Comment