Personal Anarchy

Personal issues and politics should maybe not mix. But I must admit I have a very strong personal interest in anarchism - it's not just a "selfless cause", so to say.
What happened?
When my bullies at school threatened to kill me with a knife and the other kids of my class cheered for them and encouraged them, with the addition of similar incidents before and after, I realized the members of the society I live in hated me so much that they were willing to kill me. I assumed that even if I would survive my teenage years, I'd probably be stuck at the lowest ranks of society for the rest of my life, or become homeless, an inmate or a person in a lunatic asylum.
And I did not know what to do about this. This all changed when I encountered anarchism and began to dive into anarchist theory.
There was a thought special (but not limited) to 90s anarchism, the concept that you can play the role of a somewhat adapted-to-society, conforming person and society will not see through this and take no action against you even if you're a rebel or outcast in secret. This gave me hope I could move freely in society.
Another thing was that anarchism inspired me to not silently suffer through all this bullshit but to stick up for myself and fight for my rights.
And, thirdly, the believe in revolution and societal change and a better world with freedom gave me personal strength and courage.
This lead to a lot of positive changes in my life, like helping me to handle my anxiety problems or to get a school degree finally, after I had dropped out of school due to the bullying, or to get along better on a social level with other people.
Years later, after many, many disappointments with the organized "anarchist" movements and personal setbacks, I thought anarchy and revolution were no longer possible - partly due to human nature, partly to the hopeless behavior of many people who call themselves "anarchist".
The result of this disillusion that my life came to a grinding halt and a cascade of events were set in motion that nearly led to my death in 2004.
I struggled for years until my heart found anarchy again - and then my personal life improved step by step too. Things were steadily getting better again.

So I know the clichéd statement "anarchy is nice in theory but doesn't work in reality" is not true. Anarchy worked in reality for me on a personal level. It's not just a "nice idea". It is something very deep and profound.
And it could work for everyone else too. For the whole of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment